Monday, December 27, 2010

The Art of Changing

“All changes even the most longed for, have their own melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another.”
-Anatole France

This year has been a rollercoaster of changes for me. Not only me but most people I know. I always had a hard time accepting change and allowing it some sort of presence in my life. However over the past ten years I have started to see that change is an on going battle and no matter how hard I try to avoid it or put it off, change will always be there. So I can either pretend that nothing has changed, avoid the inevitable or open my arms and accept the fact it’s going to happen whether I want it to or not.

I used to rack my brain with trying to change the situation or trying to change people to make everything easier on me but I cannot change others. Some situations I can change because I have brought them on myself although most changes happen for a reason and therefore are unchangeable. To put it simple, change sucks. It’s hard, messy, and most people cannot deal with it. They allow themselves to wallow in the past instead of accepting the change and allowing it to run its course.

Not only does changing life circumstances come along but also change in oneself is just as hard if not harder. Breaking old habits to create new better ones can feel like it takes a lifetime, but it’s not impossible. Change in oneself is a constant. It will always be there. It creates and destroys. However things don’t change. We change.

So hold close to the people you care about. Stay connected to those that are important because change will happen, and when it does these are the people you will lean on for support. Even though we’ve changed and we’re all finding our own place in this world we all know that when the tears fall or the smile spreads across our face, we’ll come to each other because no matter where this crazy messed up world takes us, nothing will ever change so much to the point where we’re not all still friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment